Side Effects All Crazy Meds Have
No matter which neurological and/or psychiatric drug you take, you’ll probably get one or more of these side effects. These will usually be gone, or at least will diminish to the point where you barely notice it most of the time, within a week or two.
- Drowsiness / fatigue – even when taking stimulants in some circumstances.
- Insomnia, instead of or alternating with the drowsiness.
- Assorted other minor GI complaints (constipation, diarrhea, etc.)
- Generally feeling spacey / out of it
- Which can all add up to the ever-helpful “flu-like symptoms” listed as an adverse event on the PI sheet of practically every medication on the planet used to treat almost any condition humans and other animals could have.
All crazy meds can, and probably will affect your dreams as well. There is no way of telling if that will be good or bad, let alone if this side effect is permanent or temporary.
So don’t operate any heavy machinery and try to avoid driving the first couple of days. We always recommend starting a new med Friday night / Saturday morning (or whenever your day off is) so you have an idea of how it will affect you for the first week or two. Keep in mind: most side effects are usually temporary in nature.
Risperdal (risperidone) Typical Side Effects
Most everyone gets at least one or two of these.
The usual: headache, nausea, dry mouth, constipation, sleepiness and lethargy or insomnia and way too much energy. Most everything of these go away within a couple of weeks, although the sleep & lethargy or insomnia & being wired may take a little longer.
§3. Risperdal (risperidone) Uncommon Side Effects
You may or may not get one or more of these, so don’t be surprised either way.
- Side effects due to increased prolactin
- Loss of libido & other sexual dysfunctions
- Swollen/enlarged breasts (AKA porno boobs)
- Unexpected lactation (it’s especially unexpected when it happens to guys)
- AP-induced movement disorders
- Tardive dyskinesia (TD)
- Extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS)
- Risperdal is currently known as the worst AAP, and one of, if not the worst AP in general when it comes to movement disorders
- Heart palpitations, tachycardia and other cardiac weirdness
For: Those of use who prefer jokes in our medications terms.
Has yours…: NO! IT HAS NOT STOPPED AND I HAVE SCHOOL TOMORROW *cries*